Welcome back to Travel Tip Thursday – Today and every Thursday I’ll be sharing tips to help you save money and make travel easier.
Travel Tip Thursday –
How to Survive Holiday Travel
We all know that every trip is a headache in terms of transport. You have to make sure you took everything, that you are at the right gate, that you took all the metal away from you to pass the security and much more. But what do we do when we travel during the holidays?
Therefore, I thought about making a “guide” on holiday travel, because … let’s face it: everything is crowded at that time of the year, how can ANYONE survive that? Let’s begin:
- Book your hotel and buy your tickets much earlier! – And I don’t mean a month earlier. You have to start looking and getting ready from this point of view at least 3-4 months earlier to be sure you won’t have any troubles.
It’s not just that there will be fewer available places or not at all, but it’s also about the fact that as you get closer to holidays, the prices will increase considerably.
- Check the weather – Be very careful with the weather, I don’t think you want to be prepared from all points of view and then have delays because of the weather. Also, it wouldn’t be nice either to get to your destination and realize that you can’t enjoy anything because of … the rain!
- Use Online check-in and try to arrive early at the airport – I know, you are told to do that every time you book a plane ticket. But … trust me, when you’re around holidays, you really have to do that! Airports are more crowded than in the rest of the year and it’s not a good idea to arrive late and unprepared.
- Carry-on bag – Avoid checking bags! – As I’ve already said, there are A LOT of people who travel during the holidays, so you should avoid this for two main reasons. There is a great possibility to waste a lot of time checking your baggage and there is a bigger chance for your luggage to get lost. And … nobody wants that, right?
Therefore, pack light, smart – and you won’t regret anything! Don’t forget, however, to respect the weight and size limits.
- You might get stuck. – Maybe even though you’ve checked the weather, it’s not that good – let’s be honest, nobody can control it. So, there is a chance to get stuck at the airport for a few hours, the plane having delays because of the weather.
Don’t panic. Look around to see what restaurants/cafes are at the airport because every airport has something like that. Maybe you will have a good time with your family/friends and time will pass without you realizing! Also, a full stomach means a happy person, right?
Make sure your devices are charged or that at least you have your charger with you. Technology is very helpful in such situations!
Well, these are, in my opinion, the essential things to keep in mind when traveling during the holiday season. If you have any other suggestions about how to survive holiday travel, leave a message.
Thanks for checking out Travel Tip Thursday, see you next week.
Missed last weeks Travel Tip Thursday, click here
Other posts you might be interested in:
“Traveling – it makes you speechless and then it turns you into a storyteller.”